Sunday, February 5, 2012

Use of Causative Get


Causative Get.
Like make, Get is also used as a causative where a Person requires others to do his job.
structure: [Sub + get + something + verb in past participle form]
Example: Tom would like to get his car (something) painted.
Explanation: 
Here tom will not perform it directly rather Tom wants a painter to do the job.

In this picture, the man who is painting is not Tom he is a painter and Tom is making him paint Tom’s car or Tom is getting him to paint his car.
More examples:
Tomorrow I´m going to the hairdresser´s to get my hair cut (past participle of cut is cut).
I really must get my eyes tested. I´m sure I need glasses.

structure: [Sub + get + someone (person) + to + verb]
The government TV commercials are trying to get people to stop smoking
How can parents get their children to read more?
we will have to get someone to fix the phone right way.

No comments:

Post a Comment