Tuesday, February 21, 2012

How To Use "WOULD"

How to use would

Would for unreal situations
Example:
I would love to visit Brazil
She would like (wants/would like) to be a doctor
We would go, but we are too busy.'
So here we can see the word would is used for unreal or imagined situations:
Would as a past tense
Would also can be used narrating any repeated action in the past. It is used in the same context as “used to” (past habits).
Example:
My grandfather would always smoke his pipe after dinner.
I would go to the river for swimming.
When I was young I would do my homework every evening.
Would in conditional sentences
Would is used again for unreal or hypothetical situations in the conditionals:
Example:
Conditional: If I won the lottery, I would purchase a brand new car.
(So here I didn’t win the lottery. But if I won only then I could have purchased the car).
Would not also means 'to refuse'
Wouldn't (would not) is used to show that someone refused to do something:
I asked him if I could borrow his car, but he wouldn't lend it to me.
(Here I wanted to borrow his car………But he didn’t give me that means he refused to give………This is how would not can refer to ascribe to refuse something)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment